(keitai-l) Re: 2G networks - How congested?

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushunet.com>
Date: 04/30/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>Could people also comment on if they get disconnected or feel compelled
>to because there's a sensible/noticeable QoS degradation of the services
>at peak hours, for example.

This is clearly going to depend on where you are as much as anything else.
Most people will be in Tokyo,  so here is my 2 yen's worth from Fukuoka.

(Fuk is a city of 1.25 million in Kyushu, Japan. It tends to get things
"second" = the second tier of any rollout.)

I have *never* been cut off, except in elevators and similar "faraday
cage" structures.
I rarely use the antenna (it has limited effect on most phones).
Sound  quality is usually acceptable (though not on a  par with AU cdma
one) but there used to be  a dimunition on Friday nights or other busy
times.... This is no longer so noticeable.

Nick

Fukuoka, Japan.