(keitai-l) DoCoMo's beautiful walled garden - offical imode site certification

From: James Governor <jgovernor_at_illuminata.com>
Date: 05/09/01
one of the reasons imode is so successful, surely, is that it limits user
choices. it is NOT the internet. rather is it a set of *useful* or
*desirable* content-based services delivered via a mixture of wireless and
internet protocols, technologies.

is that the internet in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

when it comes to handset and services, small is surely beautiful. The
smaller the menu the less navigation required. the smaller the phone the
better it looks and the easier it is to carry. fewer choices means easier
navigation.

In many ways there is too much choice in the world already. what breakfast
cereal to eat? what jeans to buy? what keitai? in some cases shopping for
these goods is fun. but the idea that a browsing/grazing/hunting model is
*always* appropriate is  bizarre. do we choose a different toilet paper
every time? a new brand of toothpaste?

utility, it seems to me, is more important than choice in this arena.
sometime in the future we might have avatars that would do decision-making
for us, allowing us to choose from an practically infinite variety of
service offerings, but for now, the walled garden makes a lot of sense.

Let's not forget why Yahoo became so successful. It helped us make sense of
something chaotic.