(keitai-l) Re: I-mode: Success by accident -or- Howjournalism works.

From: Tony Chan <tonyc_at_telecomasia.net>
Date: 05/12/01

>  It seems to me that you use "fail" so loosely that it becomes synonymous
> with "no longer continues".  I have no idea why NN's diary disappeared -
> and neither, apparently, do you. But columnists are notorious prima donnas
> - editors too - and the demise of this or that  column is no justification
> for the conclusions you draw in your article or the conclusion you draw
> above.

I believe that assuming a free column was removed from the Web because it was
not financially viable is more valid than assuming all columnists and editors
are notorious prima donnas.

> >hen the situation can only be worse for wireless content
> >providers outside Japan.
>
> WHAT SITUATION? (the "free column disappears shock horror" situation? The
> "not just any old free drivel will make pots of cash" situation? What?)

The SITUATION, in this context, is the whole wireless content sector SITUATION
- as in the business model (which generate profits) of putting information on
a server which can be access by a mobile phone over a wireless network.

> But even putting NN's D to one side - your article can amount to no more
> than "not all imode websites are successful" surely not a surprise even to
> the more naive of your readers.

That is precisely the point that I'm making. And while it is might be safe to
assume that readers should know this, it doesn't mean that they might not want
to read about it.

> And could you not have better approached it with one or two (boring old)
> statistics about site failures?

If anyone on this list has any kind of statistics about i-mode site failures,
or know of someone who might be keeping these statistics, I would be very
interested. What are the alternatives, quoting some analyst about Web site
closures on the Internet, WAP developers going bust? dotcom bubble burst?

> (To see just how disingenuous Chang is being here - compare the following
> "If Mike Tyson got 5 years for rape, what hope can Bloggs have?. Tell me -
> does that encourage one to think with an open mind about the crimes (if
> any) and fate of Bloggs? Compare and contrast....)

Who's Bloggs? What's his crime. (those questions certainly spring to mind)
If on the one hand, the question was preceded by a column about Bloggs, who
was caught red handed with his hands up some woman/man's pants and the fact
that he was arguing the case claiming that it was not rape and that even if it
was, he was a famous athlete and did not warrent going to jail, at least not
for any time longer then three weeks, then the question "If Mike Tyson got 5
years for rape, what hope can Blogg have?" makes perfect sense to me.

I find it really hard to follow whether you simply disagree with my conclusion
- that wireless content providers outside Japan and that would include
upcoming i-mode-based sites in Europe and America will have a hard time
generating profits, or how I justified that conclusion - the part as you call,
lazy, inept journalism -  taking a premise based on the demise of a single
i-mode column from an email list which happens to be full of people interested
in i-mode, and related that to what many people who have said in the past,
that the wired line Internet outside Japan will influence the development of
the wireless Internet outside Japan.

I stand behind my conclusion 100%. As for my lazy, inept journalism, I will
only get better.