(keitai-l) Re: I-mode: Success by accident -or- Howjournalism works.

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 05/12/01
Tony Chan writes, in part:
> To start off, I should clarify that the offending piece in question was
> never meant to be absolute fact. As many of posts have justly noted, it
> was full of inaccuracies and mistakes and journalistic blunnders.
> Granted. But it was never meant to be fact in the first place. It was an
> opinion piece, a column, which is actually my musings on the state of
> wireless content providers.

As someone who contributes this sort of "journalism" all the time
to KEITAI-L, I would be remiss if I did not start off by admitting
precisely that.  What can I say?  It's easy, it's fun, and best of
all, IT BEATS WORKING!

The most important thing I have to report, however (in this, my
first and probably last contribution to the present thread) is that
Natasha Nakamura is a terrible example to use as some sort of
portent of a hypothetical mass failure of popular i-mode sites.
This I know.

The reason is simple: *I* was Natasha Nakamura, and I gave up writing
the column because I was getting a little tired of it, but I ended up
continuing with it because I now make quite a handy living off of
Natasha's Notes, a private, for-pay i-mode e-meru maga that I have
simply neglected to advertise openly in KEITAI-L until now.

Some of you who have met me in the flesh might protest that this
is impossible, because I am a man, and not Russian, among other
apparent contradictions.

Well, that just goes to show how little you all know about me,
doesn't it?

Tonychantastically Yours, Dahlink,
-m
leap@gol.com