(keitai-l) Re: The 3G anti-hype

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 05/18/01
From: "Benedict Evans" <inherent@hotmail.com>

> Michael, there's a rather basic problem with your arguemnt: Operators
> *didn't* buy 3G to do streaming video!

I never claimed they were doing it for that purpose - I merely accuse
them of riding that hype rather than damping it.

> If you *listen* to them, they say that 3G is about voice capacity for the
> first 5 years at least, with data the icing on the cake, not the cake
> itself.

And if you read the fine print in a stock prospectus, you can find
all kinds of subtle warning signs.

[snip]

> Now, it's perfectly true that consumers show no interest in mobile
> multimedia services.  ....But they do rather like mobile
> voice, I think you'd agree. And 3G gives operators the ability to do *all*
> voice by mobile - to completely replace a country's fixed voice network.

At this point, I have to say: show me the spreadsheets.

Why is this investment worth what's been spent?

And when do they project that it will be worth that?

By the way, I find it rather unconvincing that one can get
cheaper mobile than landline in some cases - how do we
know what's subsidizing what?

-m
leap@gol.com