(keitai-l) Re: remote control....

From: Chris Lowery <chris_at_onegoodwindow.com>
Date: 05/23/01
In my old house X-10 was everywhere, mostly for the lights. they
were all screw-in dimmer switches or sockets, and networked over
the wiring. brilliant. the cpu wall wart listens for switch or
button events, and runs a program (or events) sent from the pc.
surreal but powerful. they have lots of plugin modules as well.

These links are about X-10 and Java:
http://www.amug.org/~glguerin/sw/gadget/Using-the-X10-ScheduleToy.html
http://www.x10.crevier.org/webinterface/

This guy talks about java/jini for his aquarium, and pointsix,
offering more reliable device signaling than X-10:
http://lists.dalsemi.com/maillists/tini/1999-August/000294.html

My media PC uses my TV for a screen, so when I move from my desk
to sit in front of the tube I have to bring my cellphone, the
wireless mouse and keyboard, and the tv remote. I always
forget one. Why can't I do it all, especially with the most
expensive component?

More along the lines of 'fastforwarding' I should ask, has any
cellphone, mobile or keitai really connected PDA to home video
infrared control like palmOS did?

-chris

Nick May wrote:

> keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
> >Oh, we have very convenient wireless controlled air conditions
> >over here, no fireplaces anymore...
>
> changing the subject slightly - (darn - since that last thread started I
> have been unable to stop sucking my keitai antenna) is there any work
> being done on home automation from a keitai - it's not the ability to be
> able to start the washing from the other side of the world that really
> interests me - more fastforwarding the video when the remote is out of
> reach - but it is the same tech...
>
> I know, I know, security nightmare, script kiddies in the toaster, etc
> etc, but is anyone coding a Java interface to any of the popular home
> automation products?
>
> Nick

Chris Lowery - Emergency Interface Technician - www.onegoodwindow.com*
"doctor, heal thyself." -- idem. *<spam>.