(keitai-l) Re: Handset id

From: Ian McDonnell <ian_at_mcdonnell.net>
Date: 05/24/01
I browsed the archives and saw this thread a from earlier this month and
noticed that many of you were stonewalled by the 'Official I-Mode Sites'
when they wouldn't tell you how their session ids & session management was
handled within docomos garden.

I was wondering the same thing recently and did some investigation, I don't
claim to know the answer, but if you examine the urls on those official
sites that are actually tracking your session you will notice that among the
parameters in the url their is a string like NULLGWDOCOMO.

My guess is that this string is translated into a session id before the
request arrives at the web server
i.e. even though the client browser just sends the request
    www.abc.com?p=NULLGWDOCOMO
you can imagine that the web server will in fact receive a request like
    www.abc.com?p=1234567890

where 1234567890 is a session id including perhaps a handset id for the
client .

This translation will only occur within the docomos garden of official
sites.
And this likely is the core of standard session/state management for the
official sites (but of course many of the official sites also implement
their own independant url based session/state management)

Can anyone confirm this?