(keitai-l) Re: [offtopic-cpu] Who is responsible for imode in AT&T and KPN?

From: Dargel, Brian A <dargelb_at_intel.co.jp>
Date: 05/25/01
There are already Intel Baseband chips (with ARM cores) in J-phone Kenwood
and a few others (Intel bought DSP-Communications which is a baseband chip
design house a year or so ago)...

But regarding a seperate applications processor seperate from the
communications baseband, please see the following press release..

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/in092500a.htm

Currently all the phones in Japan have a single baseband which is also
responsible, through the ARM core, for all the applications (i-mode, JAVA,

The StrongArm RISC processor mentioned in the press release is the same
processor that runs the Compaq iPAQ, so I leave it up to you to think about
the possible increase in capablilty Intel will be providing to NEC.

There is some stuff happening in Europe too, but I am less familar with it..
I think it surrounds PDA's with GSM/GPRS modems.

Thats about all I can say, that I do not think it will be very very long.

Brian