(keitai-l) Re: i-mode in USA...based on what?

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 05/29/01
At 04:44 2001-05-29, you wrote:
>Hi Keitai-l,
>
>I am still researching some facts about the launch of 'i-mode'
>or whatever it will be called in USA. I suspect that it will
>have not so much to do with the i-mode we all know over here
>in Japan, but maybe somebody can shed some light on it.
>
>If somebody prefers to talk off record, please mail privately
>or use my public PGP key and send encrypted mails off-list,
>I keep everything confidental.

Well. I guess the boring part is that very few know that much. They have
fairly effectively closed the lid on the process. In general, it seems to
be quite few from the i-mode development community working on this. Very
few indeed. The same is valid also for KPN, but they have come farther.

We have heard some rumors from different sources, and that is generally
that the co-operation between the operators and DoCoMo is far from easy.

Other issues are delays of handsets, unclear volume commitments from the
operator/DoCoMo etc.

For AT&T it is still supposed to be called i-mode, as far as I know, but be
very similar to the Pocketnet service on the current CDPD network.

http://www.attwireless.com/personal/explore/pocketnet/

/g

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.jp | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747