(keitai-l) Re: i-mode in USA...based on what?

From: rolf van widenfelt <rolf_at_pizzicato.com>
Date: 05/29/01
Gustaf Rosell <gustaf@xpedio.com> wrote:

> At 04:44 2001-05-29, you (Juergen) wrote:
> >Hi Keitai-l,
> >
> >I am still researching some facts about the launch of 'i-mode'
> >or whatever it will be called in USA. I suspect that it will
> >have not so much to do with the i-mode we all know over here
> >in Japan, but maybe somebody can shed some light on it.

> Well. I guess the boring part is that very few know that much. They have
> fairly effectively closed the lid on the process. In general, it seems to
> be quite few from the i-mode development community working on this. Very
> few indeed. The same is valid also for KPN, but they have come farther.
>
> We have heard some rumors from different sources, and that is generally
> that the co-operation between the operators and DoCoMo is far from easy.
>
> Other issues are delays of handsets, unclear volume commitments from the
> operator/DoCoMo etc.
>
> For AT&T it is still supposed to be called i-mode, as far as I know, but be
> very similar to the Pocketnet service on the current CDPD network.

simply using CDPD goes against one of the things i've heard, which is that
DoCoMo wanted
to launch i-mode in other countries using 3G (or maybe 2.5G?) networks.
i've always been confused by this, since that would mean they will have
to wait a very long time, perhaps even longer with the recent delays of 3G.

does anyone know what networks will be used for i-mode with ATT and KPN?
that might give some indication about when such services would actually launch.

thx,

-rolf