(keitai-l) Re: SVG == Scaleable Vector Graphics

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 06/12/01
Jay wrote:
> I have heard that the new i-mode and J-Phones are
> going to support  SVG == Scaleable Vector Graphics
> for 2D and 3D graphic engines for games and content.

Maybe an ultra-light Compact SVG would be possible.  I do not believe
that we're about to see mobile browsers that do clipping and masking
to arbitrary shapes, partial transparency, casacading styles, nested
affine transformations, procedural animation, and scalable WebFonts;
but all of these are important parts of SVG.

<snip>
> Will SVG beat out other formats  for graphics on the
> cellphone?

No.

<snip>
> I have played around with SVG using Adobe's SVG plugin
> and it is slow because it has to parse XML.

No, it is slow because the SVG rendering model is complex.

--
I do not speak for Roundpoint; any opinions I express are my own.