(keitai-l) Re: JEvaHz - read all about it.

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 06/26/01
Thomas O'Dowd writes, in part:
> ....How about encouraging
> more volunteer translation to happen, by making the site feed off of
> the original Japanese list, and marking the difference between translated
> and non translated messages. Anyone could then request translation of
> a particular message that looked interesting by marking it and anyone
> else could come along and translate it online. Requested messages could
> have a count and be ranked for people wanting to translate.Kinda
interesting
> community feedback idea, but there may be copyright issues. I donno.

I am interested in collaborative, volunteer, demand-driven, web-mediated
translation, so I'd like to do something like this.  In fact, I've been
talking
to Sam Joseph on and off about angling Neurogrid's emphasis toward
making the language barrier more "translucent" (mainly by mapping
keywords bilingually.)

Like you, I'm also concerned about the copyright issues.  I might
automate copyright statements (in the name of the original submitter,
for both original and translation) just to get those IP complications
out of the way.  I'm not sure how Japanese/U.S./International
derived-work rights might apply to this effort.  I should find out.

In the long run, there's even a possible task-market angle -- fifteen
people waiting on a translation might be viewed as fifteen possible
customers for a translator.  This complicates the IP picture in a
slightly emotional way --  the idea that other people (translators)
are making money off your submission to a list, while you don't,
might rub some people the wrong way.  It's much easier to give
permission to others to propagate your work freely than it is to
give permission to others to make money off of it -- money you'll
never see.  Some portion of the proceeds going to the writer
of the original might help.

Well, this is counting the chickens.  I need to get caught up, and
bang the site into better shape, before designing anything
more ambitious.

> Course you also have the problem of people translating into rubbish :)

And rubbish in the source material as well, don't forget.  GIGO.  (Not
that this characterized JavaHz in the least, AFAIK.)

> Would make for an interesting little project though. I guess it could
> also work the other way too for non English speakers wanting to read
> Keitai-l.

Skipping the stuff I write, yeah, you got an idea there. ;-)

-michael turner
leap@gol.com