(keitai-l) Re: Storing Email on Wireless Phones

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 06/30/01
Virgil Vergara wrote:

> Forgive me for being naïve about this subject but I like to find out about
> email that is sent to wireless phones such as imode.

not naive at all - perfectly valid questions. But most have been
answered before,
or can be found on various imode-faq's or websites.

> Does an email that is sent to one of these wireless phones store the email
> into a little harddrive

handsets don't have harddrives for now - they have semiconductor memory chips.
This might change sometime in the future, but not for a while.

> or does it reside within a server?

It does until it's delivered. However, DoCoMo might keep backups - who knows
about that? So copies might stay on backup servers, even though the
emails are
not accessible to the user any longer.

> If its within a
> phone what's the capacity of how much email it can store? It does have a
> limit right?

Sure there is a limit. It is one of the points of competition between
the phones.

> What's the charges per. Kilobyte in receiving the email and what are the
> limits?

Charges are a few yen or less/email. You can find details of the
charges in the various DoCoMo presentation materials. JPhone etc compete
on how they charge for email.
The limits for email differ for various subscription services. The standard
limits on DoCoMo is 250 kanji (double byte) or 500 romaji (single byte) +
no attachments, but there are enhanced email services with higher limits.

You can find more about his in the various DoCoMo websited, in the email
section of the imode-faq:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/imode/faq-email.html

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/