(keitai-l) Re: How Mobile E-mail Should Work

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 07/25/01
>All incoming e-mail should be coming to my mail server. This gives me an
>address at my own domain (in this case, keitai@cynic.net) and allows me
>to keep a copy in my regular mailbox and do some spam filtering. (The
>former is handy because I can reply from a real keyboard if I happen
>to be near one, and I also have a copy that hasn't had the attachments,
>if any, trimmed. The need for the latter is fairly obvious.)

This may work for you, but keep in mind that the majority of users do not
have their own mail-server and probably wouldn't even want to bother
setting everything up as you described.

For the majority of users it is probably more convenient and practicable to
get a pop mailbox from their mobile phone company. This is in fact
practised in the GSM world with SMS/Email gateway services.

As a user I would get a pop mailbox -say- 0447777123456@mobile-co.net for
which I am being encouraged to set one or more aliases, -say-
benjk@mobile-co.net and disable the number based address. I would then
configure another identity/personality on my email client to check
benjk@popmail.mobile-co.net and I would be able to send email from that
address via smtp.mobile-co.net (POP before SMTP for authetication).

On the mobile I would typically get a notification SMS (free of charge)
from Email-Gateway with the content "Email <id-no> arrived from <address>
by sending an SMS (charged as one message) with the content "read <id-no>"
upon which I'd get the message delivered by SMS (multiple messages if
longer than 160 chars, again MT is free of charge).

Of course if you are at your desk you could instead download the message to
your email client.

In addition there are web based interfaces to read and send email and set
user preferences. This option could be used to set user defined anti-spam
filters for incoming email.

The same method can of course be applied to mobile email with a different
delivery mechanism than SMS.

Of course you can always use a yahoo email account which you can divert to
your mobile or access directly from the mobile (using WAP on KDDI au) then
send to untrusted parties accessing Yahoo! rather than sending off the
mobile's email client. Well, that's what I am doing with my KDDI au phone,
anyway. Has the benefit that I can keep the address even if I change mobile
companies and handsets/SIM cards, which I do regularly whenever I cross a
border.

regards
benjamin