(keitai-l) Re: How Mobile E-mail Should Work

From: <rgrob_at_acm.org>
Date: 07/25/01
> The only problem now is outgoing mail, which still has my @docomo.ne.jp
> address in the From: line. I get around this, currently, by sending
> mail back to a cynic.net address with the real recipient in the Subject
> header.

How about coding a reply-to address in your envelope that contains the
information about the real recipient? If your phone supports the reply-to
field then you can simply hit the reply button.

E.g. url-encode the recipient in the reply-to. Valid email account names in
front of the @ sign can contain quite a lot of special characters unlike
some people might think (see corresponding RFC).  So you can include both
the recipient email address and the email account of the preprocessor, such
as <recipient-address> preprocessor@cynic.net (e.g.
"keitai-l@appelsiini.net" preprocessor@cynic.net).

The mail will be received by your preprocessor or catch-all email account
and from there you can exchange the from line, do other processing you like
(e.g. send a copy to your local sent folder) and forward it according to the
information in front of the @ sign.

Reto,
optimizing usability ...