(keitai-l) Killer Apps

From: Tracey Northcott <tracey_at_enfour.com>
Date: 08/08/01
Hi all,

Sure I have been quiet for a while - but am still around lurking in the
shadows - waiting for another keitai-L party to be seen in public again.  :-)

And the reason I write today is to rant - not at anyone in particular -
just a general rant - if I hear the term "killer app" one more time I am
going to scream!!!  I don't think I am alone here.

It is impossible to please all of the people all of the time.  There are
no get rich quick schemes, no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and
no tooth fairy (sorry).   Traditional lessons still ring true in the
digital consumer age as the consumers are *still* people - as different
as each snowflake and numerous as grains of white sand on Shimoda beaches.

Stop looking for the Killer App and concentrate on developing compelling
content useful to improve people's lives, leisure, business - whatever -
do the research, build/create a quality solution, price it accordingly
and then market well.  Consumers are increasingly more savvy and more
demanding but are still spending - this will not change in the near
future.  Give people options, choices of solutions that fit into our
different lifestyles and tastes and they will be prepared to pay.  The
markets ARE there - they are diverse but sustainable.  Compelling and
timely content with efficient delivery is the key.  Sure the whole money
collection issue, business models, micropayments etc is another story and
I won't get into that here.

Here's a tip: Identify and quantify a target market, their willingness to
pay for your product/service, build, charge and deliver a product or
service taking into consideration the competition and the market forces,
costs, margins, life-cycles, seasonal adjustments yaddi yaddi yaddi.

My final comment before I slink back into the shadows:

In communications and technology we are seeing alot of convergence -
however - this allows for more diversity in delivery and design for
creative developers.  Having said that, there is NO substitute for hard
work, quality output and keeping your eyes and ears open for new
opportunities and timely response - you snooze, you lose.

Cheers,
--t

BTW and completely OT - the only single thing that I know that crosses
the boundaries of culture, religion, socio-economic factors, race,
politics, gender, age blah b;ah blah is....  fireworks, the fabulous
hanabi that are everywhere in summer in Japan - everybody loves fireworks
no matter who they are.  Is there anything else that anyone can think of?