(keitai-l) Re: NoNokia (was: What does everyone like (was: Killer Apps))

From: Anders Lindh <alindh_at_flyerone.com>
Date: 08/10/01
Hi, this is my first post to this list. I've been on this list for about
2 months, and find it really valuable. Thanks everybody!

> Well yes, to some extent, but it's more what is behind the brand. They
are
> one of the main factors for us not having a usable mobile Internet in
the
> western world. By having such a dominant position on the handset
market,
> and then not having any decent mobile Internet capable handsets (they
have
> still not shown a functional GPRS phone) they are perhaps they have

I don't think Nokia should get all the blame for not introducing mobile
Internet
in the western world. European governments and their shortsightedness
with huge
3G license fees are the ones to blame. As a result operators have been
short on
money and investments in GPRS networks have been delayed. As long there
isn't a
large enough installed base of GPRS networks (and thus potential end
users) it simply
doesn't pay to launch new phones. And Nokia actually makes money selling
phones, unlike
some other phone manufacturers.

On the service side, this is actually a chicken and egg problem. People
don't have enough
GPRS phones yet, so service providers delay launches of new services. On
the otherhand,
operators and phone manufacturers delay shipment of new technology
bacause of lack of
third party services. Once things get rolling (cheap 2.5G phones
available) Europe will
surely get it's act together.

--
Anders Lindh