(keitai-l) Re: Allowed (Keitai) email address characters

From: David Emery <dave_at_skiddlydee.com>
Date: 08/29/01
>We just got something  I've been dreading for awhile.
>
>A J-Phone user who says they have a "/" in their email address.
>
>    And I tried inputting an email address on a J-Phone
>and it allows my standard stuff (see below) and the / sign
>as well.
>
>    For the longest time I've trusted that working email
>characters are only A-Z (or a-z) 0-9  @ . _ and -.
>
>    Now I'm poked around the internet a bit into various RFCs
>and mailing groups and such and been thoroughly confused.
>Does anyone know not so much what is allowed but what works
>as an email address?

This won't really solve your problem, but just for fun, here's what a major
perl guru had to say last time someone on the mod_perl list started
discussing regex's to detect allowable characters in email addresses.

START SCHNIPP--------------------------------------------------------------
Roger>   # limit allowed characters in email addresses
Roger>   $to =~ tr/-a-zA-Z0-9_+%$.,:!@=()[]//cd;

This is neither necessary nor sufficient.  Please stop with this nonsense.

*  An email address can have ANY CHARACTER OF THE PRINTABLE ASCII SEQUENCE.
*
*  An email address NEVER NEEDS TO GET NEAR A SHELL, so ALL CHARACTERS
*  ARE SAFE.

Clear?

Man, if I see ONE MORE script that checks for a "legal email", I'm gonna
scream.  Matter of fact, I already did. :)

--
Randal L. Schwartz

-dave