(keitai-l) Re: Customs issues Bond-like cellphone gun alert

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 09/03/01
cfb wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
<snip>
> > Almost every time I've been through airport security in the US
> > recently, I've been asked to demonstrate that my phone (and
> > sometimes also my PDA) is not one of these by turning it on or
> > pressing a key, making the display change.
>
> Yes, but do they then ask you to put it through the x-ray machine?

No, only one or the other.  Some airports provide trays or bowls for
putting pocket contents through the X-ray machine; others put them by
the walk-through metal detector and rely on ordinary visual
inspection.

> A rigged LCD demo can be executed with minor mods that wouldn't
> interfere with the firing mechanism in this type of dressed up,
> almost useless zip gun.
<snip>

Indeed.

I wonder whether this is really just aimed at the criminal kind of
gadget addict.