(keitai-l) Re: Network latency when using HTTPConnection

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 09/05/01
At 02:50 2001-09-05, you wrote:
>No offense Gustaf, but where do you got these data
>and what was the exact procedure to measure it?

Your note is highly valid, and I would very much like to see additional
figures that would confirm or reject our observations. Especially for
GPRS... But the latter is not so likely.

The figures for GPRS is very well measured in many ways and validated by
others. There are some possibilities these may go down with more tuned
equipment, but we haven't seen this yet.

Regarding 3G, these figures are from practical tests done by a not so small
company up north, which is involved directly in 3G. We have done some
prelimininary measures to confirm them in Japan, but there is yet some
uncertainty simply because these networks are still evolving.

Regarding the PDC figures. Our own measurements are done pretty crudely
over DoPa through a regular phone, and then pinging one of the DoCoMo
servers that actually answers ping. DoPa's bandwidth is higher, but we have
assumed that the latency would be the same. This is definitely a weak
point, but this figures are also confirmed by companies working directly
with the giant (but would never want to be the one who published these kind
of things), and not in exact detail, more like saying, "your figures seem
to be correct". There are also others that have measured this through an
i-Appli, but these figures are quite a lot higher, in the order of 500 ms,
and there are uncertainties, since it is not a pure ICMP protocol that is used.

So, please take them with sound skepticism. They should be confirmed by
others, except perhaps in the GPRS case regarding the current standard in
these networks.

Anyhow, there are lurkers on this list that should know...

/g