(keitai-l) From Japan.Inc: The Dirty Little Secret of i-Mode

From: <turner_at_uvs.is>
Date: 09/06/01
One of the things I had been lead to believe about i-Mode was that content
providers have a reasonble shot at making money. Apparently not:

http://www.japaninc.net/newsletters/index.html?list=WW&issue=22

Perhaps I am late to the game and this was common knowledge amongst people
in the know, but this sure as heck changes my thinking about the importance
of the i-mode phenomenon and it's relevence to future mobile wireless
services in the rest of the world.

From the vertically integrated DoCoMo, to the non-exportable business
model, to the extreme devotion of Japanese to there keitai's and cute
gadgetry in general, i-mode suddenly looks like little more then a cultural
curiosity.

This thoughtful commentary on the Panasonic P209iS is relevent as well:
http://www.v-2.org/suspectdevice002.html

Cheers,
Douglass Turner