(keitai-l) Re: From Japan.Inc: The Dirty Little Secret of i-Mode

From: Paul Lester <paul_lester_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 09/07/01
    I read the second commentary and it was great
at spelling out all the problems of i-mode of afew months ago.

    But it also spent a paragraph talking about the microphone
and speaker being too far from someone's mouth and ear to work
properly and how you need to move the phone up and down.
(But it was right about having trouble getting to the volume switch
on certain models).

Extract: "The problem begins when you
 try to actually have a conversation on the thing: one must constantly be shifting the phone up
 and down in order to both hear and speak clearly. "

    In my experience with other keitais (haven't used the old P209iS).
I've had problems talking and hearing when I am walking by the highway,
but no problems of not being able to hear the person or talk to them
due to the design of the phone.  Its usually because one of us is in
a place with bad reception or there is too much background noise
(Tokyo is quite noisy at times).  So there are problems to be certain
but maybe I haven't noticed the microphone/speaker problem because I am
average Japanese height.

    Anyone know more about this?  I'm curious, if this microphone/speaker
problem has happened to anyone else?

> This thoughtful commentary on the Panasonic P209iS is relevent as well:
> http://www.v-2.org/suspectdevice002.html
>
> Cheers,
> Douglass Turner

*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=
Paul Bryan Lester
Layer-8 Technologies Inc
LincMEDIA Group
QA ENGINEER/Programmer etc etc