(keitai-l) Re: 3G PCMCIA card?

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 09/07/01
At 03:55 2001-09-07, you wrote:
>http://nnb.nikkeibp.co.jp/nnb/F_NEWS/20010907010.html
>
>Until I read this I thought that FOMA data services (likewise KDDI's HDR
>services) were going to use purely pay-per-packet tariffs. I suppose DoCoMo
>have been following the recent trends in PHS data services, moving towards
>flat
>monthly rates (Air-H", b-mobile Data Service etc.)

But it's not really flat. 0.02 yen per packet still doesn't make it
possible to use any multimedia services. And this price is after having
already paid 8 000 yen in fixed fee, so they are really targeting high-end.
With lower plans, bandwidth is a lot more expensive.

The 64 kbps circuit switched data is a lot cheaper to move a lot of data,
but still more expensive than PHS...

So as someone said before. FOMA is little else than a status symbol and a
faster i-mode/i-appli service. At least before they do something about the
pricing.

A little bit alarming also that they didn't have to open for MVNOs. In most
other countries they are either obliged to do it (30% of capacity in Hong
Kong for instance), or they NEED to do it to fill the network and pay their
debts.

/g