(keitai-l) Re: What use is FOMA?

From: Paul Lester <paul_lester_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 09/07/01
    Excellent Point.  I often don't explain what I mean.
I was thinking in relative terms not absolute.  You are
correct.  I was unclear.

    Lets start with a 5k i-appli on a P503i phone.
Its 50% of the maximum size. (10k).

    I hope (not sure) that the FOMA phones may have a larger
max jar size for i-appli.  Lets say 30k.  The same 5k i-appli is
now 17% of the max size and "smaller" from the relative standpoint
of the phone.

    Same might go for sound and image files, or it might not.

    Next the faster part.  Hopefully the processors on the new FOMA
phones will run faster, so the same programs will run faster.  So if you
compare a FOMA and a non-FOMA phone, the FOMA should
display the same content faster because it was made more recently
and hopefully has a newer faster processor.

    And by lighter, I don't mean weight, I was thinking of load.  Hopefully
3G can handle more load so the same amount of data sent now by i-mode
will be lighter in a figurative sense.  It will be lighter on the lines and the
phone because both are hopefully capable of more.

(I was thinking about deleting my line smaller faster lighter but decided not
too, bad choice on my part.)

    But yes I do agree with you.  In actuality people will probably write
even bigger, programs for FOMA thus destroying any benefits that would
be achieved by writing the same stuff thats being written now.