(keitai-l) Re: What use is FOMA?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 09/07/01
On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Michael Turner wrote:

>   Now maybe this strategy has misfired, in the
> case of FOMA/Japan 3G.  But then, it misfired
> in the case of ISDN, which I suspect has never
> really paid back on the investment made here,
> and which got blindsided by DSL in the U.S.

Um...well. I really like parts of this comparison, but the main reason
that ISDN never took off in the US because ISDN had a per-minute charge
in almost all applications. Not such a big deal here, but in the US,
where unlimited local telephone use at a flat rate is the accepted way
of doing things (well, accepted by consumers), local services that are
not flat rate are not likely to take off, or go anywhere at all for
that matter.  (I think the telcos really hoped it would be the start
of a move to per-minute charges for everything, something they've been
aching for for years now.)

So in the end, it wasn't the technology, it was the...charging model?!
Hey, this is starting to sound really familiar....

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org