(keitai-l) Re: The Big Picture

From: David Davies <david_at_intadev.com>
Date: 09/10/01
On Sunday, 9 September 2001 10:52 PM
Victor Pikula wrote:

>> .. it seems now that we have grown to see the "Big Picture" arise
>> when talking about the Japanese mobile internet.

A truly excellent posting Victor.

>> One reason why many foreign observers downplay the mobile internet
>> phenomenon as a "cultural phenomenon", or otherwise question its
>> significance, is envy: Japan is truly ahead of its time in this area.

IMHO many people have just grown so accustomed to the concept that good
ideas _always_ come from the US (or maybe Europe) that they just assume
anything from Asia must be a fluke, copy, accident, regional thing or
was somehow engineered/orchestrated by a foreign entity.

Hence some simply prefer to believe stories that put down Japan's mobile
boom because it reinforces their established beliefs.

I've spoken to quite a few [foreign] companies lately that are building
WAP or Palm based products/services for Europe or the US.  Despite
having a golden opportunity here in Japan [that already exists] many
have discounted or ignored the market based on one or more silly
misconceptions.
One I've heard way too many times from people that should know better is
that the iMode market consists entirely of teenage girls and there are
no business users.

The sooner such rhetoric dies out (or is snuffed) the better.

Regards,
David Davies
http://www.intadev.com