(keitai-l) DoCoCaCoMoLa according to The Florentine (was Re: Re: Cmode experience)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 09/11/01
Giving DoCoMo the benefit of the doubt (which I always
hesitate to do), I think this Cmode thing should be viewed
for what it apparently is: a technology demonstration, not
a ready-for-primetime service.   And that has uses.  Several
of them.

One is the power of "Seeing is believing."

After all, it's one thing to talk about the possibilities, quite
another to see the already-sweating drink-can arrive in the
hopper in response to no more than phone-button presses.  If it
takes minutes, and two dozen button-presses, so what?
You've still shown possibilities *concretely*, which is real
food for thought for the technology players who will eventually
make it as convenient as it should be: one pointing action, and
(don't all kill me at once, now) One Click.

It's patently obvious. ;-)

The only remaining question is: why did they screw up so publically?
What's the point of inviting such ridicule?  Couldn't it have been
limited to the rigged-demo showroom, in talks with partner
companies?

Well, I think it was Machiavelli who said: you should
want your adversaries to underestimate you.  Especially
if you're known to be strong.

So if you were DoCoCaCoMoLa, a partnership of strong,
but not nimble, corporations, only just learning to dance
together, wouldn't you want to appear laughably clumsy
to any non-partner companies, if you actually had some
technology you could take to the bank?

Just a thought.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com