(keitai-l) Re: DoCoCaCoMoLa according to The Florentine (was Re: Re: Cmode experience)

From: cfb <chris_at_bryden.net>
Date: 09/20/01
drew.freyman@nokia.com wrote:

> Have a look at www.freedompay.com  This is just one example of a
> non-Japanese business model/application of technology that achieves exactly
> the same thing on a transactional and marketing technology level, but is
> different at the user/machine interface.  Seems to be more convenient and at
> a lower cost, and is adaptable in respect to user/machine interface (rf
> token, key pad, mobile phones, etc.)

Wasn't Nokia venture capital contributed to Paypal?  I seem to
recall reading that somewhere.  Perhaps the Paypal fraud factor is
too high to be use it as a vehicle for the pristine subscriber base
of wireless carriers?  So, does that mean Palay is a botched venture?
An experiment?  A higher risk venture with a different market niche?

> In addition, the major banks seem to have systems in planning or place using
> variations of similar technologies.  Also, there are the ezPass systems
> being used at gas stands, toll plazas, etc.  Then, on the user/machine
> interface side, there are so many companies doing bar code reading systems
> for customer loyalty, payment, etc..  I suppose DCM could try to patent
> 'using a bar code on a mobile display', but is method of display of barcode
> unique enough to qualify for a patent?

A variation on the academic world's "least publishable difrerence",
the "least patentable difference" will weaken the patent system
to the point that technology development will become a race for the
"first to market".  Given my experience with Microsoft software,
I hope this never becomes the norm.

It's interesting... I've run into two seperate companies that
claim to have patents pending on the old bar-code on the LCD
display trick...  I have yet to seen it used or even demo'ed.
It is very possible that cellphones could replace the transponders
of the ezPass system(s), but it's a little too late to replace
all the existing hardware.  It is funny to hear the GSM phones
beep and sqwak when they go under an ezPass tranceiver.