(keitai-l) Re: DoCoCaCoMoLa according to The Florentine (was Re: Re: Cmode experience)

From: <drew.freyman_at_nokia.com>
Date: 09/19/01
Have a look at www.freedompay.com  This is just one example of a
non-Japanese business model/application of technology that achieves exactly
the same thing on a transactional and marketing technology level, but is
different at the user/machine interface.  Seems to be more convenient and at
a lower cost, and is adaptable in respect to user/machine interface (rf
token, key pad, mobile phones, etc.)

In addition, the major banks seem to have systems in planning or place using
variations of similar technologies.  Also, there are the ezPass systems
being used at gas stands, toll plazas, etc.  Then, on the user/machine
interface side, there are so many companies doing bar code reading systems
for customer loyalty, payment, etc..  I suppose DCM could try to patent
'using a bar code on a mobile display', but is method of display of barcode
unique enough to qualify for a patent?

Is this patentable?  Hell yes it's patentable -- after all, besides being
"useful" and "novel", it has already, in this forum full of smart people,
passed the test of being "non-obvious".  They can make money on this for
years, surcharge or no.  Today I bought a tachigui soba bowl using coin-op,
a drink using coin-op, and a train-ticket using coin-op.  I'd have preferred
one point, one click and one bill in each case.