(keitai-l) Japanese applications to Europe? Not at the moment...

From: <mats_at_mobiledreams.com>
Date: 09/25/01
I visited the "Mobile Internet Expo" in Paris last week, and I thought it'd be interesting for some to hear that at least 2 Japanese companies were there to introduce their mobile platforms: Mitsui/Bussan Systems Integration showed their content service platforms and Aplix showed their JBlend embedded Java solutions. JBlend had with them a range of J-Phone & DoCoMo phones that surely opened some eyes in Europe!!

But I am unsure about some Japanese companies' international marketing skills; the simple fact that few in management speak English makes expansion difficult. One of the Japanese companies visiting Paris referred questions regarding Europe to their American PR woman in San Francisco!

No pure content/application providers from Japan were exhibiting in Paris. But of course lots of European content providers who have already introduced their games etc with operators across the continent. In general, these guys are surviving by focusing on simple applications that work over the already popular SMS networks, and stay ready to launch & re-launch richer content as GPRS is being introduced. There are already about 10 "pan-European" mobile game providers. I'm not sure there's much space for many Japanese content/application providers right now. Superior technical solutions like JBlend yes, but the content channels seem pretty "full" for now - it's rather the usability in the form of packet data (GPRS) and better handsets that is lacking.

But I guess some Japanese content providers could suddenly show up "from under the wings" of DoCoMo, if one of the "i-mode Europe" portals does open.

Another observation from Paris: As everybody knows, the mobile internet industry in Europe is sort of in a "hibernating" mode right now. But some content providers are obviously already making lots of money. When I got here I was really surprised to see that there are tons of TV and radio commercials for ringtones & characters (downloading over SMS)!

I miss my i-mode phone (& you guys)!,

/Mats Ulenius