(keitai-l) Re: wrap text

From: Nik Frengle <eseller_at_eimode.com>
Date: 09/26/01
Curt Sampson wrote:
> I too used to prefer word-boundary line breaks (I assume this is what
> we're really talking about here), but I found that over a couple of
> months I got quite used to reading English without them, and now I even
> prefer that everything just wrap at the right margin, ignoring word
> boundaries. (You get more text on the screen that way.)
>
> Has this happened to anybody else, or am I just rather odd?

I still prefer line breaks that are not in the middle of a word. But I know
what you mean--I do most of my i-mode browsing in Japanese, and it is
amazing how much more information you can get in one screen of Japanese (and
Chinese by extension) than you can in English. In a way it is
counter-intuitive--there are only about 8 kanji per line, so you should be
able to get alot more English. But not.

This is a whole different thread, but I would reckon that the Japanese
language actually has some advantages in this regard, for use on a small
mobile phone screen--it is a much more compact form of communication,
fitting a lot more meaning into a much smaller space.
Any thoughts?

-Nik Frengle

---