(keitai-l) Re: Advantages of Kanji for Keitai Communication

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 09/26/01
Slightly overstating your case with that example, aren't you?

I'd have it more like this:

Where are you going now? I'm going out for a drink.
どこに行きますか。読みに行きます。

Where you going? Out for a drink..
 どこに行く? 飲みに行く。

Japanese is briefer, I'll give you that, but informal
language is briefer in different ways for the two
languages.

Now take into account that the English is legible in a
5x7 font (barely), but the Japanese becomes a total
blur at that size, for all but the simplest kanji.

This is an old argument, of course.  It's not how many
characters, but how many pixels, at a given level
of legibility.

-michael