(keitai-l) Re: wrap text

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 09/27/01
Stuart Woodward wrote:
> If you really want to wrap text correctly you need to get into the
> Kinsoku rules where certain characters can not appear at the end or
> start of a line.
> E.g in newspaper columns the period character is allowed to be
> placed over the next column rather than being left on a line by
> itself and the $ in $100 should not be left at the end of a line but
> should start the next line.
> Breaking in the middle of Kanji compounds is allowed....
>
> See this article after "Line Breaking with Japanese Text" for some
> more details.

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.14/14.01/SupportMultibyteTex
t/

The Unicode Technical Report on Line Breaking Properties, which is at
<http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr14/>, might also be worth a
look.  It's unfortunately a very difficult issue - I implemented a
simplified version of the algorithm it suggests, and it was not easy.