(keitai-l) Re: I just saw the strangest TV ad

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 10/02/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>One of these appliances - probably the fridge - would be wired to the
>good old fashioned Internet, and would thus be able to inform concerned
>siblings or careworkers if Granny failed to make herself a pot of tea,
>or drink her morning Yakult.
>I don't really see the advantage inherent in the PHS kettle being able
>to do this direct.

The "advantage" is that it can do it now, cheaply, with existing
infrastructure, even if granny lives in a wooden hut with a single
powerpoint (as long as there is a phs base station withing range). It will
also be unaffected in a situation in which granny's internet-fridge
(though why granny would invest in such a thing is unclear) has been
hacked and is participating in a DOS attack on the White House. Your
solution requires a  degree of (expensive) integrated (vendors have to
agree on a standard) high tech in granny's house that the PHS solution
does not.

I am not suggesting that bluetooth does not have a place, but I am all for
tech that is here now, cheap and works.

Nick