(keitai-l) Re: I just saw the strangest TV ad

From: Justin <justin_at_fka.att.ne.jp>
Date: 10/03/01
> keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>
> The whole medical/looking after old people thing is hugely important in
> Japan (given cultural norms and demographics) - and the PHS infrastructure
> is going to be very useful indeed.

From Nick's own corner of the isles:-

 * Elderly Tracker Trials Begin
Fukuoka City and Fukuoka Police are to begin trials of a new system to
locate elderly citizens prone to wandering off and getting lost. Families
concerned with older members will be able to to receive a small device,
made by NTT and using PHS technology, from local government offices. In the
event of a request from a family the police will be able to locate errant
elders. This is the first such system to work in direct cooperation with
the police in Japan.

Source: Kyushu Headline News for Tuesday, October 2, 2001.

I guess criminals and pets are next.

BTW, as all these new devices pop up, I hope the coverage of the PHS
networks has improved from the days when I had to leave my old handy
phone in a steel wok on the windowsill to be sure of receiving incoming
calls at home.

--
Justin <justin@fka.att.ne.jp>