(keitai-l) Re: I just saw the strangest TV ad

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 10/01/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>that
>allows adult children to check up on their aging parents' potable hot
>water usage (presumably for the purpose of making sure they're still
>alive).

It is an interesting application ('though it was more interesting the
first time I read it - as "aging parents'  pot usage") - and would have
application in winter as these things can probably keep tea cold as well
as warm.

The whole medical/looking after old people thing is hugely important in
Japan (given cultural norms and demographics) - and the PHS infrastructure
is going to be very useful indeed. 3G and so on is more sexy, but I think
it is the European lack of a PHS type network that is going to be allow
Japan to do things (such as the above) that Europe can only dream of...

Really really cheap 'coms for short calls may turn out to be more
important than really really fast 'coms.

What is the cost comparison between outfitting a kettle with a PHS, and
outfitting a kettle with - say - an SMS message unit and something to
write to it?

I guess the problem will also be attacked from the other end (potty usage)
- have TOTO started to advertise  smart loos? (Wives! - check your
husband's alchohol intake!)

>By coincidence, the ad was run during a heart wrenching
>Sunday evening story about what happens to guide dogs for the blind
>when they get too old to guide any longer..

Cad! - we are agog - again - so what DOES happen to aging Japanese guide
dogs. Glue factory? Vivesection? Cat food?

Nick