(keitai-l) Re: sticker for keitai

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 10/03/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>The BBC seems to be moving
>towards bright yellow press style of science journalism. Sad.

With respect, I beg to differ.  I have no idea whether this is snake-oil
(I suspect so) or not, but the BBC makes a perfectly reasonable stab at
presenting the story. ( am not sure whether it has been edited since I
linked to it originally - it is the version currently up that this is
taken from.)

The BBC headlines the story: (The story is in it's Scotland section, not
its science section BTW)

>"Doubts over 'safe phone' sticker"

it continues:

>"A sticker developed by a Scottish-based firm, which claims to neutralise
>radiation from mobile phones, has been given a sceptical response by
>safety experts"

a paragraph or so further on it says

>"However, Dr Michael Clark, scientific spokesman for the National
>Radiological Protection Board (NRPB), was "sceptical" about the stickers'
>properties."

it later says (quoting extensivly)

>"However the NRPB, the independent government watchdog which assesses the
>affect of radiation on humans, said there was no evidence that DNA was
>affected by mobile phone conditions and it was "sceptical" about the
>effects of this device.
>
>We remain to be convinced of their effectiveness in reducing personal
>exposure in normal conditions of use of mobile phones.
>
>Dr Michael Clark Dr Clark said: "We would endorse the view of the Stewart
>report on mobile phone use.
>
>"There are various devices that seek to reduce exposure to radio
>frequency radiation from mobile phones.
>
>"These include shields and other devices that attach to phones.
>
>"We remain to be convinced of their effectiveness in reducing personal
>exposure in normal conditions of use of mobile phones."
"

In other words, it is responsible coverage of a product launch that may be
of interest to many (given the coverage of possible damage caused by
cellphones in the UK) , with fairly hefty caveats well and truly entered.

Nick