(keitai-l) Re: Nokia 5510

From: Graham Brown <gbrown_at_wirelessworldforum.com>
Date: 10/11/01
Benedict Wrote

>Is there anything in this device that costs them money? FM chips must cost
>nothing by now, and MP3 playback stuff has been around for 2 years, so must
>be fairly cheap. So, are they adding cheap gimmicks to distract our
>attention from their failure to do big screens? And to maintain their
'cool'
>image among consumers without doing anything very difficult or expensive?

Bingo!

The handset situation leaves a lot to be desired in Europe. We have GPRS
networks,
and in theory WAP2.0 but no significant roll out of phones to support this.
The
handsets are still happy with pumping out low-end phones that can satisfy
the low-spending
user.

I think the FM chip is a joke and I look forward to the day (okay so it
might be 2004) when
W-CDMA sim-based roaming allows us to buy Asian-made 3G phones in Europe.

GB