(keitai-l) Roaming

From: Benedict Evans <inherent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10/11/01
The trouble with complaining about roaming charges is:

The tariff structure was set up in the early 1990s when almost all of thee
companies were state owned monopolies. No-one was thinking about competive
pricing, and the way that the charges are worked out therefore is such that
they will all look the same - which creates the illusion of collusion.

Second, assuming there was no collusion (and there's no reason to believe
there was), whose business is it what the mobile operators want to charge
for roaming? They aren't charities, or monopolies. The EU going in and
seting their prices makes about as much sense as it telling Cocacola and
Pepsi what they can charge.

Especially after Eu 120bn has in cash has just been extracted from the
industry ;)

I sense a swerve off-topic. I can't think why. Anyone know if the FOMA
handset sales are holding up?