(keitai-l) Re: keitai-l Digest V1 #81

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 10/16/01
On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Kai Leppanen wrote:

> However, an
> interesting aspect of this re-launch of CDPD as a consumer-oriented network
> was the consumer's choice of handsets. Most people purchased a
> voice-oriented handset in the low-end price range and saw the mobile
> Internet features as bonus! While developers might have wanted a bigger
> spread of the high-end handsets, the consumers were not ready to spend the
> extra money! Hopefully this illustrates you the importance of people
> abilities to adopt new technologies - even if there's something new that is
> useful and compelling, the users need to be slowly migrated into these
> technologies!

I would say that the problem was that there wasn't much, if any, content
that was useful and compelling, and so consumers had no interest in
spending a lot of extra money on something useless. Users do not need to
be slowly migrated; users need to be offered either really compelling
content or a really cheap price. Nobody in the world is going to pay a
lot of money to get nothing.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org