(keitai-l) Re: FOMA

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 10/31/01
On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 06:29 , Joran Roslund wrote:

> I'm living in Europe and I'm curious to know how FOMA has been received
> in Japan. It's now almost a month since the public service-in. Does
> anyone have subscriber numbers? Is it a success so far? A failure?

It's clearly too early to say it is a success or it is a failure. But it
is probably safe to say that it is not as much of a hot pancake item as
the hype would have had us believe only a year or two ago. Having said
that, compared to Europe, 3G was never that much hyped in Japan anyway.

>  Is the network more reliable now than during the field tests during
> summer?

Maybe some of the FOMA users on the list can comment on that.

> What's the public opinion about FOMA?

It is probably comparable to a few years ago when 1.5GHz service was
introduced. People know that there is something newer available but they
are being more realistic about it and they know that it will take a
while before there is a wide geographic coverage.

rgds
benjamin