(keitai-l) Re: JPhone introduces Prepay (extended to Wireless Forensics in general)

From: John Whelan <john.whelan_at_alatto.com>
Date: 10/31/01
There is some very interesting information in Benjamin's positing re:
wireless forensics. However I believe from simple geometry that the signal
strength and cell id data will only give something similar to a circle. This
still makes it very difficult to pinpoint location. However in combination
with other data cell id can provide very useful information to police.

For example the most famous case of using wireless forensic that I have come
across is the tragic case of the Omagh bomb in Ireland a few years ago.
Police identified 2 mobile phones that traveled through several cells in
tandem to the bomb location before the explosion and traveled back together
afterwards. Such activity was typical of scout car activity as the first car
warned of security checkpoints ahead whilst the second carried the bomb. For
some legal reason the evidence was not enough to secure a prosecution
although one of the accused in in court at the moment but I believe there is
a ban on media coverage.

John

www.alatto.com