(keitai-l) Re: European i-mode will crash...

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/27/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:

>Dear Gerhard
>
>It is always interesting to hear from an orthodox i-mode believer.=20

Your post gets silly round about here. No one has reified imode, or
Docomo, and certainly no-one worhips it. So why the mock-religious
vocabulary?  Were you drunk?

>I am very aware that many people around the world worship DoCoMo and =
>i-mode, and it many ways they are right to do so.

I must confess, in Japan I have not met ANYONE who does so.

>However, my company =
>make a living from objectively evaluating mobile operators' strategies =

Nonsense. Your company makes a living by making other companies BELIEVE
that you objectively evaluate mobile operators strategies. Which is quite
different. Or are you still at the stage of believing your own marketing?

>and from providing advice on how to make money on mobile services based =
>on those evaluations - something we do to more than 60 operators =
>worldwide.
>
>DoCoMo can teach us a lot about the opportunities in the market for =
>mobile services. Operators who generate more revenue from content-based =
>services than DoCoMo, and who are seeing their ARPU going up at the same =
>time as their acquisition cost goes down, can teach us even more. Those =
>operators have created a situation for themselves that DoCoMo has not =
>experienced for years.

And would those operators have 30million or so users? Or would they be
rather smaller fry at a different stage of development?

>Many people, like yourself, are offended when we point out that DoCoMo's =
>business case is not as successful as many orthodox i-mode worshippers =

Why the ad-hominem again? On the one hand you make much play of your
claimed "objectivity" and then you spoil the impression immediately with a
gratuitous and condescending ad-hominem. Are we to understand that anyone
who disagrees with you is to be accused of this (rather obscure) religious
practice?

>claim. Fact is that many operators are doing much better than DoCoMo. =

Are they the same size as Docomo?

>Fact is that in those cases content providers are not restricted by a =
>proprietary platform and as such, not forced to develop services to fit =
>each individual operators' individual platform.

You mean, 30 million potential users, all accessing easy to squirt out a
chtml variant?

>I am sure many Japanese =
>content providers would very much like it that was the case in Japan.

Evidence?

>Perhaps it is time for the mobile world to grow up and take a critical =
>look at those they call their heroes.

On the basis of your post sir, you are in no position at all call for any
other party to "grow up".

nick