(keitai-l) Re: International Usage - PHS vs WLAN

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/08/02
Benjamin and Curt,

there are a lot of things PHS and WLAN share.

- both are designed both in-door and out-door, local and public
- both have some 100 m radius, and relatively cheap basestation
- both for Internet/Web access (an accidental success for PHS)
- neither have hand-off (we can discuss later)
- neither can have full coverage

about the differences

- companies will use WLAN and not PHS for LAN access.  this makes
  good advantage for the WLAN market that, if enough hot-spots,
  everyone will only invest in and use WLAN instead of PHS, that
  the PHS subscription may dive like a stone.

  accually, WLAN and PHS competes in the same market segments -
  those who use computers extensively in the office and at home.
  ... and you can say we won't need public WLAN in Japan at all.

- the WLAN access points can reverse-bill the service providers,
  kind like roaming (not Zebra ;-) or the business of automatic
  vendor machines.

- WLAN is a world, oops, US standard and the chips and equipment
  will be cheaper than PHS (several million yen for a 3 channel
  basestation?).

- also as a standard, you can have one card to use anywhere and
  access any service provider, as opposed to PHS (though it's
  a non-brainer to choose H").  same for roaming/abroad use.

- the Japanese regulators make more hassles than yakuza, and
  I'd not say it's a demerit if WLAN is not treated as telecom
  service, which will make it cheaper and easier to roll-out.

cheers,

Ken