(keitai-l) Re: International Usage

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/08/02
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Benjamin wrote:

> Well, Motorola is already selling it. It's called Canopy ...
> http://www.motorola.com/canopy/index.html
>
> This one is only 10Mbit/s....

Ah, that explains how they can do it at all. Even there, I bet that
they're really pushing the limits of this thing.

> ...but I seem to remember that WiFi-2 was spec'd
> for 5GHz and they were talking about "well above 50Mbit/s" which should
> be sufficient to serve a bunch of PHS base stations.

802.11a (I don't know if it was ever called "WiFi-2") is 5 GHz, yes, and
is spec'd at 45 Mbps. In reality, you're lucky to get 20 Mbps out of it,
and the range is generally under 10m indoors. (I have one friend who
deployed it in his office and discovered, much to his dismay, that it
won't even go through cubicle walls, and he needed about 3-4 times the
number of access points that he'd anticipated.)

> Anyway, you do this from roof top to roof top, not so problematic for
> a DDI Pockets style PHS network.

Sure it is. Without line of sight, this network just ain't going to work.
DDI doesn't have that limitation.

> Lasers, very messy to install, costs a lot. In Japan I wouldn't want to
> use it because the chance is that you will have to realign every single
> laser after every average earthquake like -what- magnitude 3.5 ? Well, I
> am just guessing, but I heard horror stories from network admins who had
> experiences with laser links. It kinda put me off.

Yeah. They are a real PITA to maintain. that's why I'm thinking fiber may
well be easier.

cjs