(keitai-l) Re: International Usage

From: Benjamin <bkml_at_mac.com>
Date: 07/09/02
On Monday, July 8, 2002, at 02:00 , Curt Sampson wrote:

>> Well, Motorola is already selling it. It's called Canopy ...
>> http://www.motorola.com/canopy/index.html
>>
>> This one is only 10Mbit/s....
>
> Ah, that explains how they can do it at all. Even there, I bet that
> they're really pushing the limits of this thing.

I wouldn't know. But I do remember to have seen product announcements
for wireless in the 5GHz range with throughputs in the 40 and 50 Mbit/s
range.

> 802.11a (I don't know if it was ever called "WiFi-2")

Well, I have seen this somewhere but it may not be an official term.

>  is 5 GHz, yes, and
> is spec'd at 45 Mbps. In reality, you're lucky to get 20 Mbps out of it,
> and the range is generally under 10m indoors. (I have one friend who
> deployed it in his office and discovered, much to his dismay, that it
> won't even go through cubicle walls, and he needed about 3-4 times the
> number of access points that he'd anticipated.)

I am surprised to hear that. Why would it be spec'd at 45 if you can
only hope to get less than half of that ? I can understand that in a
home/office environment with an off the shelf base with an
omni-directional internal antenna you wouldn't get anywhere close to the
spec'd bandwidth at that frequency.

However, if you were to use this as point to point, from roof-top to
roof-top or from roof-top to a fixed spot at ground level, provided
there is clear line of sight, I would think that it should be possible
with uni-directional antennae, proper alignment and calibration, to get
close to the maximum bandwidth as per spec. Wouldn't you think so?

regards
benjamin