(keitai-l) Re: Does Qualcomm's BREW Business Model work????

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/15/02
On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Jay wrote:

> > But Java is much easier
> > and cheaper to develop in than C is, for things other than system-level
> > applications. The programmer has to do so much less work....

> You can use Visual Studios to compile your DLL and
> test the app on the emulator.   Then you can use your
> ARM Development Suite to actually make it for the
> phone

Sure. But that's not the expensive part. The expensive part is doing the
programming in C, because you need to write five times as many lines of
code to do the same thing, you have to deal with memory management, you
have to deal with pointers that can point to the wrong place and crash
not only your application but probably the entire phone, and so on.

> Qualcomm is trying to make it cheaper to compile your
> applications with BREW

Well, I don't think that $6,000 for the ARM compiler is such a big
deal, given that you're likely to be spending $20,000 or so on getting
your first application certified. And even if your app takes only two
programmer-months to write, that's a good $20,000 right there, too.

The certification thing, while obviously completely necessary,
sounds like a real problem to me, because you're going to have to
re-certify every new release, at $4,000 a pop. Ouch!

cjs