(keitai-l) Re: International Usage - PHS vs WLAN

From: cfb <cfb_at_nirai.ne.jp>
Date: 07/15/02
Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, cfb wrote:
>
> > In general, I think a
> > full shop is the best kind of advertising that any food serving
> > facility can hope to have.  ~100,00yen per month isn't even entry
> > level in the Japanese advertising market.
>
> Sure. But the point, in the end, is not to have good advertising.
> The point is to have a high revenue per table.

...which explains why all those empty pseudo-pachinco and video game
tea houses aren't going out of business, right?

There's a little more to the "high revenue per table" equation
than one might think...

IMNSHO, a critical part to that equation, in Japan, has a lot to
do with flash and trendyness.... Kinda' like theme sports bars in
the US (I call it the Hooter/WiFi analogy... you can call it
whatever you'd like).

If WiFi provides even the slightest edge (1% in sales), the access
points/bandwidth are so cheap these days that even the smallest shop
really can't afford to not have one (or even three, as I suggested
before).

...of course, in my own demented mind, I believe wireless came along
just in time to prevent the invention of the coin operated RJ-45 wall
jack and power outlet.  I guess that pretty much makes me an outcast
on the keitai list.