(keitai-l) Re: Camera phones - USB & WPAN

From: Petri Ojala <ojala_at_iki.fi>
Date: 07/26/02
>> BT problems between different vendors are way beyond
>> the problems of the early days of WLAN.
>
> and Rome wasn't built in one day - neither were the pyramids of Giza

There's also another issue; WLAN wasn't too much in the media during the
early days and it had a nice childhood.  Bluetooth was put to the press
before the pregnancy and it's going through a very bad and demanding
childhood.  In today's world many people and even manufacturers may not be
willing to wait for the child to growup.

> Then again, I wouldn't mind to loose the cable between my desktop
> display and its CPU and also gain a video input selector facility this
> way without the use of yet another box and more cables. However, it
> would make sense to go about all the other peripherals first.

Video, especially on the desktop, requires quite a bit of bandwidth, even
WLAN is too little.  And having one WLAN for the display and another for the
LAN would make life interesting, especially if there's a lot of computers
and wlan displays around.  Wireless Firewire, perhaps?

> Good point. However, while I can see some sense in wireless Firewire and
> USB, I can't quite see what wired Bluetooth would be good for as those
> applications which could do with a wired version are pretty well served
> by USB and Firewire already.

Yes, there are already too many low-bandwidth wired alternatives.  In a
perfect world wired Bluetooth would make sense for e.g. keyboard and mice
and would make the creation of wireless BT keyboard and mice much easier.
From this perspective Bluetooth should have been wireless USB.  I wonder
what the Ericsson people would think of that ;-)

Petri