(keitai-l) Re: Camera phones - USB & WPAN

From: Benjamin <bkml_at_mac.com>
Date: 07/26/02
On Friday, July 26, 2002, at 04:31 , Petri Ojala wrote:

> There's also another issue; WLAN wasn't too much in the media during the
> early days and it had a nice childhood.  Bluetooth was put to the press
> before the pregnancy and it's going through a very bad and demanding
> childhood.  In today's world many people and even manufacturers may not
> be
> willing to wait for the child to growup.

Worse still, BT was brought up as a bloodhound where it was really a
St.Bernhard and now that the dog is about to grow up its owners begin to
realise that it will never be good for hunting and should have been
introduced to rescue instead.

>> Then again, I wouldn't mind to loose the cable between my desktop
>> display and its CPU and also gain a video input selector facility this
>> way without the use of yet another box and more cables. However, it
>> would make sense to go about all the other peripherals first.
>
> Video, especially on the desktop, requires quite a bit of bandwidth,
> even
> WLAN is too little.  And having one WLAN for the display and another
> for the
> LAN would make life interesting, especially if there's a lot of
> computers
> and wlan displays around.

Absolutely right. That's why I said I wouldn't start with wireless
video, but deal with all the other applications first. In my opinion
other applications have higher priority.

>   Wireless Firewire, perhaps?

Sure, why not.

In any event, wireless video should be low range, say 1 meter. That way
you could minimise interference with other wireless CPU to display
connections at neighbouring desks.

>> Good point. However, while I can see some sense in wireless Firewire
>> and
>> USB, I can't quite see what wired Bluetooth would be good for as those
>> applications which could do with a wired version are pretty well served
>> by USB and Firewire already.
>
> Yes, there are already too many low-bandwidth wired alternatives.  In a
> perfect world wired Bluetooth would make sense for e.g. keyboard and
> mice
> and would make the creation of wireless BT keyboard and mice much
> easier.
> From this perspective Bluetooth should have been wireless USB.  I wonder
> what the Ericsson people would think of that ;-)

:-)

regards
benjamin